- Electric Vehicles: Key Trends, Issues, and Considerations for State Regulators, October 2019
NARUC released an issue brief on electric vehicles and the important role of public utility commissions. Electric Vehicles: Key Trends, Issues, and Considerations for State Regulators examines trends in EV adoption, provides a synopsis of the types of decisions commissions are facing, and offers examples of recent state regulatory approaches to EV questions. The issue brief outlines the key issues and perspectives that commissions are likely to hear from stakeholders. Topics include who may own charging infrastructure, how to encourage charging during off-peak hours through rate design and managed charging, and emerging issues. A presentation summarizing key points can be viewed here.
- Webinar: Performance-Based Regulation Related to Transportation Electrification, December 15, 2020
During this joint webinar between the Electric Vehicles and the Performance-Based Regulation State Working Groups, panelists from the Regulatory Assistance Project, Strategen Consulting, and Con Edison provided an overview of opportunities, lessons learned, and insights for regulators, and experiences from the utility perspective for performance-based regulation in transportation electrification.
- Webinar: PUC-State Legislative Relationships Related to Transportation Electrification, October 27, 2020
During the October meeting of NARUC's EV State Working Group, speakers discussed state legislative trends and how PUCs and state legislatures can coordinate to advance transportation electrification. Members heard presentations from the Atlas Public Policy, the Electrification Coalition, Plug in America, and the National Conference of State Legislatures.
- Webinar: Regional Coordination for Transportation Electrification, September 22, 2020
During the September meeting of NARUC's EV State Working Group, speakers discussed regional coordination activities occurring between states and among state policy makers for transportation electrification. Members heard presentations from the Northeast States for Coordinated Air Use Management, the National Association of State Energy Officials, the Great Plains Institute and the Duke Nicholas Institute.
- Webinar: Interoperability and Standards for EV Charging, August 25, 2020
The August meeting of NARUC's EV State Working Group covered the landscape of interoperability issues, industry perspectives and progress towards interoperability of EV Charging. Members heard presentations from the Electric Power Research Institute, Greenlots and EPA ENERGY STAR.".
- Webinar: Reducing EV Charging Infrastructure Costs, June 23, 2020
The June meeting of NARUC's EV State Working Group were given an overview of the siting and permitting process for public charging stations by a speaker from Tesla. Members were also briefed on a 2019 RMI report, "Reducing EV Charging Infrastructure Costs".
- Webinar: Ensuring Equity in EV Programs, May 26, 2020
The May meeting of NARUC’s EV State Working Group covered how Commissions can ensure that transportation electrification programs and investments reach underserved communities, including low-income customers and those who live in multi-unit dwellings, while minimizing rate increases. Members heard presentations from the National Consumer Law Center and Pacific Gas and Electric.
- Webinar: Managed Charging and Vehicle-to-Grid, April 28, 2020
The April meeting of NARUC’s EV State Working Group covered managed charging and V2G. Members heard presentations from the Brattle Group, Avista Utilities, and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI).
- Webinar: The Utility Role in Charging Infrastructure, March 31, 2020
The March meeting of NARUC’s EV State Working Group covered the utility role in EV charging station construction and ownership. Members heard presentations from the Alliance for Transportation Electrification, Greenlots, and the New Jersey Division of Rate Counsel.
- Webinar: Time-Varying Rates for EV Charging, January 14, 2020
The January meeting of NARUC’s EV State Working Group covered time-varying rates and their ability to successfully shift EV charging load. Members heard presentations from the Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA) and Synapse Energy Economics.
- Webinar: The Volkswagen Settlement: An Electrifying Opportunity for EV Charging, October 10, 2019
Funds from the Volkswagen Settlement present an excellent one-time opportunity for states to shore up their electric vehicle charging infrastructure—if they can navigate the required interagency coordination. CPI held a webinar to educate states about the availability of the funding and the role of coordination between agencies and with utilities.
- State Approaches to Electric Vehicle Proceedings, February 9, 2020, Washington, DC
With the increase in electric vehicle adoption in many areas of the country—and projections for even faster growth—many Commissions have been tasked with weighing proposals and decisions related to EVs. As of December 2019, at least 31 states plus DC have seen EV-related filings, with the number growing each year. In this session, organized by the NARUC Electric Vehicles State Working Group, we heard from three Commissions who have recently completed EV proceedings on topics including charging infrastructure proposals, rates to encourage off-peak charging, and charger rebate programs. Staff from Maryland, Michigan, and Minnesota each shared a case study of their proceeding(s) and highlighted how they scoped the issues, how they approached pilot proposals, what decisions their commissions eventually made, and the rationales for those decisions.
- NARUC is grateful to the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Electricity, Transmission Permitting and Technical Assistance for funding that enables the resources and activities described on this webpage.
Working Group Leadership:
- Commissioner Maria S. Bocanegra, Chair of NARUC EV State Working Group, Illinois Commerce Commission
- Commissioner Jason Stanek, Vice-chair of NARUC EV State Working Group, Maryland Public Service Commission