Director of Human Resources
Director of Human Resources
The National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) has an exciting, challenging opportunity for a highly skilled HR professional to assist with employee relations, policies, and practices to help us grow and thrive. This position plays an integral role in helping us to manage our greatest assets—our people. NARUC is in the process of focusing on its internal culture and this position will support incorporation of identified: 1) core values; 2) norms; 3) behaviors; 4) systems, processes, and trainings across the entire organization.
The ideal candidate will have experience with HR, including onboarding, exit interviews, the administration of benefits and compensation, team restructuring, and conflict resolution. We are also interested in candidates with excellent communication and interpersonal skills; enthusiasm for nurturing employee performance; and fostering an environment of engagement, transparency, and respect. This position is a member of NARUC’s senior leadership staff and reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Support the organization across the board in its efforts to embrace a peak performance culture, identifying resources, policies, and other opportunities to grow greatly.
- Maintain, develop, and implement employee processes and procedures using HR systems for proper documentation.
- Provide ongoing maintenance of employee data and change workflows across all internal and associated external systems encompassing candidate management, new hire onboarding, and organizational change management.
- Identify opportunities to promote employee recruitment and retention, create career pathways, and increase employee morale.
- Develop organization strategies by identifying and researching human resources issues; contribute information, analysis, and recommendations to the association’s strategic thinking and direction; and establish human resources objectives that support NARUC’s mission and vision.
- Responsible for data/file management processes related to new hire and termination processes across all related databases for all personnel.
- Contribute to the design, configuration, and communication activities related to ongoing and annual benefit enrollment process, program, and performance.
- Continuously seek to identify, improve, and automate current processes to improve the management and accessibility of key analytical data.
- New Hires
- Coordinate all new hire orientation activities/logistics related to scheduling and preparation of new hire materials, oversee checklists for all required tasks necessary to onboard new employees and consultants.
- Schedule and conduct candidate interviews for new positions.
- Work with department directors to draft and post position descriptions.
- Actively participate in salary/other negotiations.
- Support staff with HR-related issues, including compensation, benefits, rewards and recognition, vacation, and any problem resolution.
- Maintain/update HR records and employee files in accordance with compliance laws, and policies provide organizational change information for charts and presentations.
- Work directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Work closely with finance and other departments, exercising the utmost discretion while working with highly confidential information.
- Assist in the communication, interpretation, and upkeep of employee handbook, employee directory, and organizational chart, and contribute to the development of policies.
- Coordinate and deliver trainings on NARUC policies and create/oversee organization-wide professional development trainings.
- Participate in HR technology group and forums, and attend vendor webinars to stay current on software capabilities and enhanced functionality.
- Partner with cross-functional support teams in improving the proprietary tools and systems.
- Work closely with legal and technology departments to make sure activities remain compliant.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or related field
- SHRM certification a plus
- 10+ years in HR or recruitment
- Exceptional communication skills, writing skills, interpersonal skills, and ethical mindset
- Adept at problem-solving, conflict resolution, and able to motivate others
- Extensive knowledge of HR policies and systems
- Expert knowledge of HR software and working knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge of federal and District of Columbia employment/labor laws
- Experience working with nonprofits/associations
- Experience working with PeopleSoft or other standard HR software a plus
- Knowledge and experience working with grant-funded staff
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applicants interested in this position should send a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to DOHR@naruc.org.